Court Thorn Surgery

Low Hesket, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4 0HP
Tel: 016974 73548 | Fax: 016974 73781
Dispensary: 016974 73553

History of the Court Thorn

A realignment of the Court Thorn dais took place in 1932, when a new thorn tree was planted by Miss Jane & Miss Elsie Strong, granddaughters of the former Bailiff of the Forest.

In medieval times Hesket tenants were a subject to the Lord of The Manor of Inglewood, and at the Manor Court offences would be tried, disputes settled and rents paid. Some Forest Courts were held at Hesket, where they took place every June 11th, St Barnabas Day, in the open air, under the ‘Court Thorn’. The stone dais still exists along the A6, though it has been moved to make room for the road and at least two new thorn trees have been planted.

extracts and pictures taken from ‘The Civil Parish of HESKET IN THE FOREST An illustrated miscellany’ by Hesket in the Forest Parish Council MM

The present thorn